Located three miles east of Saugatuck on the eastern end of Silver Lake, the Wade Memorial contains a lovely beech-maple forest as well as numerous dogwood and hemlock trees on a high bluff overlooking the lake. The sanctuary is easily accessible from 62nd St and canoes can be launched into the lake. This sanctuary was given to MNA by the Wades, who were prominent citizens of Holland, MI. It is a fine example of a beech-maple forest with hemlocks that have grown back after a wildfire that occurred in the early 1900’s. Silver Lake abuts the southwestern portion of the sanctuary and a canoe or kayak can be launched here for a pleasant trip amidst beds of pickerel weed and other aquatic plants.
This 72 acre sanctuary was donated to MNA by the estate of Lawrence A. Wade on April 30, 1980. The sanctuary is named after the donor and his wife, Lawrence A. and Mary Bell Wade. Lawrence was a prominent Holland citizen active in several organizations including Boy Scouts, where he earned its highest achievement – the Silver Beaver Award. Lawrence’s sister, Mrs. Hubert (Rhoda E.) Gander was one of the first MNA members in the 1950s.
For additional information, contact the MNA office at (866) 223-2231.
View the Sanctuary Fact Sheet
Wade Memorial Nature Sanctuary Fact Sheet.pdf